Whether you just picked up some squash or zucchini from the market or your CSA box was overflowing with these versatile vegetables, try smothering them.
Smothered Squash or Zucchini
- 6-8 squash and/or zucchini
- 1 large or 2 medium onions
- 1-2 peppers (bell or red)
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ c wine
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- butter (optional)
- Seasonings (salt, pepper)
1. Prepare the vegetables
- Slice the squash/zucchini into ¼-inch slices medallions.
- Slice the onion into half-round slivers
- Chop or slice the peppers
2. Saute the squash/zucchini, onions, and peppers in 1 tbsp olive oil until tender (about 5 minutes).
3. Add honey and wine. For a richer flavor, add 1-2 tbsp butter. Turn the heat up and reduce (about 5 minutes).
4. Season to taste. If you like heat, cayenne is great condiment for this dish.
Add-ons and Substitutions
- Eggplant works nicely instead of or in addition to the squash/zucchini.
- If you don’t have honey, use brown sugar or agave.
- Add dried or fresh oregano or basil.
Copyright © 2015 by Pennie Nichols, All Rights Reserved.