When they’re in season, CSA boxes tend to overflow with these vegetables. This is a tasty way to make sure they don’t go to waste.
Grilled then Baked Squash/Zucchini
- 4-6 squash and/or zucchini
- 1 large or 2 medium onions
- 1-2 peppers (bell or red, or jalapeño if you’re going for heat)
- 1 head garlic
- 2-3 fresh tomatoes
- ½ c sundried tomatoes in olive oil
- ½ grated cheese (optional: when I use cheese, I use Asiago. Parmesan, and Romano would also work well. For a creamier dish, use mozzarella.)
- olive oil
- Seasonings (salt, pepper) and fresh or dried herbs
- 2-3 c marinara or tomato-based sauce (Many recipes, like this one, are available online. In a pinch, buy a jar of sauce.)
1. Prep the squash/zucchini, onions, peppers, and tomatoes:
- Slice the squash/zucchini into ¼-inch slices, lengthwise.
- Peel and slice onions into ¼- to ½-inch medallions.
- Wash peppers and tomatoes.
Brush vegetables with olive oil and season (salt, pepper, or mix).
2. Place garlic head in a square of tin foil. Sprinkle with olive oil then wrap the foil securely around it.
3. Clean and lightly rub oil on the grates with oil (I douse a paper towel in oil, and, using a silicone glove or tongs, wipe the grates).
4. Place all of the vegetables on the hot grill and close. After 5 minutes, turn the vegetables. As you roast the peppers and tomatoes, handle them gently. Remember to turn the garlic as well so it roasts on more than one side.
5. As the vegetables roast,
- chop the sundried tomatoes,
- grate the cheese (if you’re including cheese),
- preheat the oven to 350o.
6. Remove the vegetables from the grill.
7. Prepare peppers, tomatoes, and garlic.
- Remove the charred pepper and tomato skin.
- Open the garlic and peel (the cloves should “pop” out of their skin).
- Chop the roasted peppers, tomatoes, and garlic.
8. Drizzle a little marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9X13” Pyrex pan. Layer.
- peppers, tomatoes, garlic
Repeat until you’ve used up your vegetables. If you’re using dried herbs, this is where you layer in the oregano, thyme, and/or basil.
9. Place in the oven and cook for 20 minutes.
Add-ons and Substitutions
- For a more substantial dish, grill chicken and add the chicken to your layers, sliced or whole.
- Mushrooms and eggplant can be used with or instead of the squash/zucchini. Brush the mushrooms with oil and grill whole. Slice the eggplant in ½-inch slices, brush with oil, and grill. Remove skin after grilling.
- Substitute leeks for the onions. Slice them length wise (remember to clean them out), brush with oil, and grill.
- For zestier dishes, add lemon zest as you layer, then sprinkle with lemon juice before putting in the oven.
Copyright © 2015 by Pennie Nichols, All Rights Reserved.