Southern-style Smothered Recipes: Squash or Zucchini
Whether you just picked up some squash or zucchini from the market or your CSA box was overflowing with these versatile vegetables, try smothering them.
Smothered Squash or Zucchini
- 6-8 squash and/or zucchini
- 1 large or 2 medium onions
- 1-2 peppers (bell or red)
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ c wine
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- butter (optional)
- Seasonings (salt, pepper)
1. Prepare the vegetables
- Slice the squash/zucchini into ¼-inch slices medallions.
- Slice the onion into half-round slivers
- Chop or slice the peppers
2. Saute the squash/zucchini, onions, and peppers in 1 tbsp olive oil until tender (about 5 minutes).
3. Add honey and wine. For a richer flavor, add 1-2 tbsp butter. Turn the heat up and reduce (about 5 minutes).
4. Season to taste. If you like heat, cayenne is great condiment for this dish.
Add-ons and Substitutions
- Eggplant works nicely instead of or in addition to the squash/zucchini.
- If you don’t have honey, use brown sugar or agave.
- Add dried or fresh oregano or basil.
Copyright © 2015 by Pennie Nichols, All Rights Reserved.